Sunday, December 4

Chocolate cake

I'm not sure if "chocolate cake" describes this cake very well. I made it for a birthday party; my mother's friend was turning 40 years old yesterday. I have a confession to make: I'm not a big fan of dark chocolate. I know, I know. Fine dark chocolate is, according to everyone who enjoys food, something you have to like. But it's simply too bitter for me on it's own, I actually prefer good quality milk chocolate. However, I love using dark chocolate when I'm baking. I wanted to bake something that was not too sweet, because most adults don't like things that are extremely sweet. But this cake wasn't as bitter as I thought it would be. It was really rich and had a fudge-like texture. Also, I used expensive Lindt chocolate, and it made a big difference. Baker's chocolate doesn't usually taste that good in cakes!
This is the recipe.
I didn't have 10 inch cake pans and I shouldn't have used smaller pans because the cake didn't cook perfectly well. If you have smaller pans, just divide the batter and use 3 pans instead of 2. The cake rises a lot, so don't worry about the amount of batter in the pans. Also, I followed someone's advice; I spread a thin layer of sugarless raspberry preserves between the cake layers. I personally liked it, but I think some people would have prefered if the cake was only chocolate flavored.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Tarzile said...

Tu es comme ma Puce. Tu y goûtes à ce chocolat mais tu ne trippes pas.

MAis quel gâteau. J'imagine que la jubilaire devait être contente.

Tarzile

9:55 AM  
Blogger Clara said...

Oui, c'est la même chose.. À chaque fois que j'ai l'occasion d'avoir du bon chocolat noir, j'y goûte, mais je ne peux pas dire que j'adore ça..

Oui, la personne était très contente. Je fais souvent des gâteaux au chocolat en guise de gâteau de fête mais celui la était très spécial!

10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home